|Published:||Jun 18, 2013 4:36 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 18, 2013 4:36 PM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Police say a 9-year-old boy found a loaded gun inside a bathroom stall at a movie theater in Tampa's Ybor City neighborhood.
The incident happened on Father's Day, while Zane Noland, his 15-year-old brother and his dad were attending a 3 p.m. showing of the new Superman movie, "Man of Steel."
Shortly after the film started, the boy said he went to the bathroom.
The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/13PLJHE ) reports he found a loaded Glock 26 on top of a toilet paper dispenser in the theater's restroom. The child then told his father, 48-year-old Marine veteran Wesley Noland.
"Dad," he said. "There's a gun."
Wesley Noland says he took the firearm and his son into a private bathroom designed for families and called 911. He disarmed the gun and put it on a diaper changing table.
Police responded in minutes. Authorities took the gun and are trying to find the owner and determine whether the weapon has ever been used in a crime.
"We did our Superman deed for the day," Noland said he told Zane. "We protected people from getting hurt."
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- No charges in Jameis Winston sex assault case
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti