|Published:||Jun 17, 2013 10:46 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 17, 2013 10:46 AM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa priest is celebrating the 60th anniversary of his ordination.
Monsignor Laurence Higgins will be honored Saturday, following a 4 p.m. mass at St. Lawrence Catholic Church in Tampa.
The Tampa Tribune (http://bit.ly/13NjpWt ) reports Higgins stepped down from his role as senior pastor in 2007. But he didn't slow down.
Last month 83-year-old Higgins received an honorary law degree from Ava Maria School of Law in Naples.
He says he hails from a family in Ireland with four generations of lawyers and doctors and three generations of priests and nuns.
Higgins was ordained in 1953 and was part of a mass export of Irish clergy sent to the United States to serve a fast-growing Catholic population.
He founded St. Lawrence in 1958 and stayed there 49 years.
Information from: The Tampa (Fla.) Tribune, http://www.tampatrib.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash