|Published:||Jun 17, 2013 10:46 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 17, 2013 10:46 AM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa priest is celebrating the 60th anniversary of his ordination.
Monsignor Laurence Higgins will be honored Saturday, following a 4 p.m. mass at St. Lawrence Catholic Church in Tampa.
The Tampa Tribune (http://bit.ly/13NjpWt ) reports Higgins stepped down from his role as senior pastor in 2007. But he didn't slow down.
Last month 83-year-old Higgins received an honorary law degree from Ava Maria School of Law in Naples.
He says he hails from a family in Ireland with four generations of lawyers and doctors and three generations of priests and nuns.
Higgins was ordained in 1953 and was part of a mass export of Irish clergy sent to the United States to serve a fast-growing Catholic population.
He founded St. Lawrence in 1958 and stayed there 49 years.
Information from: The Tampa (Fla.) Tribune, http://www.tampatrib.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia. ID released
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Arrest made in Port Charlotte party shooting
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Child Struck And Killed By Vehicle In Bonita Springs.
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident
- Coast Guard: 10 migrants repatriated back to Cuba