|Published:||Jun 17, 2013 10:20 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 17, 2013 10:20 AM EDT|
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities have recovered the body of a 19-year-old who went missing while swimming off Lido Key Beach.
A Sarasota police dive team pulled the body from the water Sunday after it was spotted by a search helicopter
The Sarasota Herald-Tribune (http://bit.ly/11K6b9E ) reports witnesses saw the man swimming off of Lido Key Beach Saturday evening. They say he appeared to be distressed before slipping under the water.
The newspaper reports the area he was swimming - called Big Pass - is known for tidal currents. That's the rush of water to and from land when the tides shift. On Saturday, high tide was a 5:17. He was seen swimming about 6:30 p.m.
Sarasota County's lifeguard manager Scott Montgomery says signs warn swimmers of the dangers.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Early morning crash on US 41 kills pedestrian
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School today
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Stolen puppy returned to Pensacola pet store
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- New anti-fraud group forms in Collier County