|Published:||Jun 14, 2013 4:29 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 14, 2013 5:51 PM EDT|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. - "I didn't even know how much I loved Sports Club because I just knew my kids were happy when I picked them up. And when they told me they were taking it away, I was, I don't want to be dramatic, but I was devastated," said Erin Garcia.
Some Collier County parents are fighting mad. They've created a petition and one parent has even filed a Notice of Protest against the district.
"This starts a process to hold them accountable to follow their rules," said Steven Bracci.
Rules like 262, that allows parents "The opportunity to make recommendations on the operation and funding of after school child care." Something these parents said never happened.
"The basis of my concern as a parent is I have Constitutional rights and freedoms that I believe are really being trampled on by the way that this was done," said David Caswell.
"I just feel the message they're sending is that they don't care or want to hear my input," said Garcia.
The new changes not only raise the price for the after school activities, but it also gives principals the option of choosing which program and providers to use. Six schools have chosen to keep the Sports Club program.
The School District didn't respond to our request for comment, but told parents it could have done a better job at communicating.
"This is about a program that's done a great job, and the kids love it. This isn't about what the kids are doing during school, this is about what we, as parents, are choosing our kids to do after school because we know that they love it," said Bracci.
The School District has seven days to respond to the petition. These after school changes are set to take effect in August.
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Holiday event fundraises for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Attendance up at 2013 Art Basel in Miami Beach
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- Panther found dead of suspected gunshot wound
- Man who gave abortion drug to be sentenced