|Published:||Jun 13, 2013 7:04 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 13, 2013 10:01 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. -- Cape Coral firefighters almost had to battle a huge blaze at Juniper Village! The reason might surprise you. A local woman turned 104 years old, and her cake was quite a show!
This feisty birthday girl is not afraid to live life to the fullest. Her cake is worthy of the Cape Coral Fire Department! Lorena Schmidt, the queen of Juniper Village, turned 104 years old Thursday.
Firefighters, including Cape Coral's new fire chief, kept a close eye on her just to make sure she didn't burn down the building.
"I don't know myself how the years have passed by, I take them day by day!" she said. Lorena has been a teacher for decades, and is one of the original Cape Coral residents.
She says there's really no secret to her long life, and finds it best to stay positive. "Look for the good in everybody because there is good in everybody. Some people keep it hidden, but dig a little bit and you'll find it."
Lorena also has quite the reputation as the resident daredevil. She once rode a motorcycle for her birthday. And this year, she's taking a ride with the Cape Coral Fire Department.
"Sometimes I don't put it in perspective, because is she is active physically and mentally, you know God bless her, she's doing very well for this age! You forget that she is 104!" said Alicia, Lorena's daughter.
As for Lorena, shes continuing to live day by day, and doesn't plan on slowing down anytime soon.
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- EXCLUSIVE: LeeTran driver speaks after possible bus shooting
- Owner tracks stolen boat to Mexico
- E-911 System Out in Charlotte County
- Sports making their way back to Edison State College
- Toy drive sign ups end Friday for Collier Salvation Army
- Postal Service letter carriers collect toys this Saturday