|Published:||Jun 10, 2013 10:48 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 10, 2013 10:48 AM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - Ten people went to the hospital after two boats collided near Elliott Key in Biscayne National Park.
The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/13sBszA ) reports the crash happened about 6:30 p.m. Sunday when a 36-foot Carrera powerboat with about 16 people aboard hit a boat carrying two people.
Officials say the second boat sank. Authorities were not certain what kind of boat it was.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Jorge Pino says "we're very fortunate no one was killed."
Authorities say one boater was airlifted to Kendall Regional Medical Center. Nine others were also taken there.
The Herald reports the Carrera was towed to Black Point Marina in Cutler Bay.
Pino says investigators are trying to determine the cause of the crash.
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Cincy firefighters are heating things up on FMB
- Changes to Lee Way mean customers buy new transponders
- Thieves steal handicapped man's motobility chair
- Taxpayers footing the bill for Damas hearings, treatment
- Immokalee firefighters donate new bikes after damaging one
- Deadly accident in Fort Myers