|Published:||Jun 05, 2013 7:19 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 05, 2013 7:19 PM EDT|
NORTH FORT MYERS, Fla.- A North Fort Myers man believes a coyote got into his screened patio overnight and killed his cat, after the same thing happened to his neighbor two weeks ago.
The two attacks happened on Seafan Circle off Orange Grove Boulevard.
The homeowners think the predators are coming from a nearby golf course.
Richard Withers says when he came out to the patio Wednesday morning to find his cat Sagwa, she was no where to be found.
"My wife came out and we saw the torn screen and we knew what happened, because these coyotes are quick," he says. "Coyotes are night stalkers and that's what they are, stalkers. You don't see them in the daytime."
He says the problems started about six months ago. When his neighbor's cat was killed a few weeks ago, they found hair outside the ripped screen that a vet told them likely belonged to a coyote.
Withers thinks the animals are coming from the old Lochmoor Golf Course about a mile away. "I've heard people have pictures of them over on the golf course," he says.
A developer bought the property about a year ago, and maintenance crews have been taking care of it ever since. The maintenance manager tells us he hasn't personally seen any coyotes there, and it would be tough for an animal to get from the course to Withers' property.
Now he says he's warning his neighbors to keep their pets inside the house.
Withers says he's been told he would have to call a private trapper to try to take care of the problem.
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim