NAPLES, Fla - Outrage over a name change in Naples and the fight to "Save the Phil" continues by reaching a new boiling point.
Donors and season ticket holders say President & CEO Kathleen van Bergen and the Board of Directors lied when they said they polled the general public before changing the Philharmonic Center for the Arts to Artis-Naples.
Robert Campbell is a Naples resident and longtime season ticket holder of what used to be known as 'The Phil.'
He and others were shocked to learn that no outside survey was taken before the board of directors changed the name to Artis-Naples.
"We had understood this research had been done, but in fact nothing had been done in connection with the desirability of a name change," says Campbell.
The information was revealed in a private meeting between three board members and three residents representing the 'Save the Phil' group.
Despite being told from day one the general public was involved in the decision, the board admitted they lied.
"It was startling because to me it was a clear misrepresentation," says Campbell.
Outrage, Campbell wrote a letter to the board of directors claiming they violated the publics trust and faith and he demands they rescind the name change or resign and face a decrease in donations.
"A lawsuit is possible, but I don't think anyone in Naples wants to see that happen," says Campbell.
He is now requesting documents and minutes from all board meetings that address the name change determined to not let this matter go.
"The sensible thing is to restore the name and open the issue up for public hearing and let the public be heard," says Campbell.
In a statement to WINK News, Artis-Naples said:
"We had a respectful discussion Thursday with the SavethePhil leadership and do not wish to participate in the story, as we had requested prior to the meeting that it would be off the record with regard to press and media."