|Published:||May 22, 2013 10:49 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 22, 2013 10:49 AM EDT|
MELBOURNE BEACH, Fla. (AP) - The mayor of Melbourne Beach says he's stepping down because he can no longer serve the best interests of residents and employees because of tension among city commissioners.
Tom Davis turned in his resignation on Monday afternoon. Vice Mayor Rocco Maglio will serve as mayor through November, when a special election will be held. He will be sworn in on May 29.
Florida Today (http://on.flatoday.com/16NJqZu ) reports that Davis ejected Commissioner Jay Gurecki from the community center last week after they had a verbal altercation during a meeting. Gurecki was scheduled to pursue sanctions against three administrators later that night.
In his resignation letter, Davis called himself a person of honor, noting that could not "passively watch unjust actions.
Information from: Florida Today (Melbourne, Fla.), http://www.floridatoday.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause