|Published:||May 22, 2013 10:49 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 22, 2013 10:49 AM EDT|
MELBOURNE BEACH, Fla. (AP) - The mayor of Melbourne Beach says he's stepping down because he can no longer serve the best interests of residents and employees because of tension among city commissioners.
Tom Davis turned in his resignation on Monday afternoon. Vice Mayor Rocco Maglio will serve as mayor through November, when a special election will be held. He will be sworn in on May 29.
Florida Today (http://on.flatoday.com/16NJqZu ) reports that Davis ejected Commissioner Jay Gurecki from the community center last week after they had a verbal altercation during a meeting. Gurecki was scheduled to pursue sanctions against three administrators later that night.
In his resignation letter, Davis called himself a person of honor, noting that could not "passively watch unjust actions.
Information from: Florida Today (Melbourne, Fla.), http://www.floridatoday.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- LCSO finds, arrests North Fort Myers murder suspect
- Suspect in Lehigh double murder located in WY
- Man pays down 76 layaway orders at Fla. store
- FMPD arrests 32 suspected drug dealers
- LCSO searched for missing 29 y/o Bonita man
- Attorney blasts investigation into FSU's Winston
- Deputies shoot bank robbery suspect who claimed to have bomb
- 2 transported by helicopter after serious crash on SR 776
- Corrections officer accused of stealing inmate IDs
- USPS to deliver mail in SWFL on certain Sundays