|Published:||May 21, 2013 10:41 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 21, 2013 11:43 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, FL-- Governor Rick Scott approved big changes in Florida's election process today. A new law adds more days to early voting and more polling locations.
"It was almost like a test of endurance really," said voter Matthew Cavalier.
A test that had voters waiting in extremely long lines in last years general election.
We interviewed Cavalier after he waited nearly six hours to vote.
He says many gave up and walked away.
"It was kind of discouraging like that people were basically losing, you know, a fundamental right," said Cavalier.
"We had 25,000 less people vote early in '12 then we had in '08," said Lee County Supervisor of Elections Sharon Harrington.
Harrington and others throughout the state testified in Tallahassee about what went wrong and today, she feels heard.
Governor Rick Scott signed a bill that allows counties to have 14 early voting days instead of eight.
It also also allows more places to be used for polling sites, like libraries and even the Harborside Event Center.
"if there is a certain section of the county that doesn't have the approved list, we can set one up in a facility," said Harrington.
Harrington blamed the chaos on the lack of poling locations, scanners and the extremely long ballot.
Even with the changes, Cavalier feels election officials aren't trying hard enough to make it right.
"I don't feel like everyone is giving it their all," he said.
Some voters we spoke with say no matter the wait, they will vote again.
"I cant imagine how much more upset I would be if it happened again knowing now that we know better," said voter Peter Gerard.
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble