|Published:||May 19, 2013 10:12 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 19, 2013 10:12 AM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- On May 18, 2013, at 10:09 p.m., the Lee County Sheriff's Office received a call of a two-vehicle crash near the intersection of Pine Island Road and Commerce Creek Blvd. Deputies responded to the scene.
A 2012 Taoi I scooter was traveling west bound on Pine Island Road. The driver of the scooter was identified as Steven Mitchell, along with his rear passenger 20-year-old Karen Cagle.
A 2006 Hummer 3, being driven by Bobby Ray Doyle, was also traveling west bound on Pine Island Road behind the scooter. At some point, Doyle's Hummer struck the back of Mitchell’s scooter and drug it west bound on Pine Island Road until both vehicles came to a stop.
Due the nature of the incident, a Lee County Sheriff’s Office Traffic Homicide Detective responded and conducted a crash investigation.
The impact caused both Mitchell and Cagle to be ejected from the scooter. The impact caused Cagle to sustain fatal injuries and she was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Mitchell also sustained injuries and was transported to Lee Memorial Hospital. The crash investigation is on going at this time.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Cape PD: Man buys iPad with stolen credit card
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- Cape Coral Police shoot 'aggressive' dog on SW 6th Ave.
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm