|Published:||May 18, 2013 8:48 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 18, 2013 8:48 PM EDT|
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say an 86-year-old central Florida mother has confessed to fatally shooting her son in self-defense.
Polk County sheriff's officials said Nancy Pennypacker ran outside of her home, screaming for help Friday night. She told the deputy her 64-year-old son had been drinking and hit her in the face when the fight escalated into gunfire. William Pennypacker was found dead inside the home.
Authorities say Nancy Pennypacker was shot once. The bullet traveled through her finger and into her shoulder. She is hospitalized in stable condition. Criminal charges are not expected.
Nancy Pennypacker says her son suffered from depression and has threatened to harm himself in the past. He has also been arrested in the past for batter and aggravated assault against his mother.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral