|Published:||May 15, 2013 10:52 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 15, 2013 10:52 AM EDT|
DAVIE, Fla. (AP) - A group of 20 Western High School seniors won't soon forget the limo ride to their prom at a beach-side Fort Lauderdale hotel.
A minivan flipped over right in front of them as they traveled on Interstate 595 near Davie on Saturday evening. Officials say the van hit a concrete barrier while trying to avoid slowing traffic.
The limo driver and tuxedo and prom gown-clad students sprang into action, helping bloodied victims out of the crumpled van.
Student Peter Kim told Miami television station WPLG (http://bit.ly/YHXNtp ) that he went to the back of the van while limo driver Danny Izzi went to the front. He helped a little boy find his mother, who was desperately searching for him.
Once everyone was accounted for, the group continued on to the prom.
Information from: WPLG-TV, http://www.local10.com/index.html
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples
- Toddler apparently drowned in canal
- Woman charged with DUI, crashing into school bus
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs
- New marina, dry boat storage facility in Cape Coral