|Published:||May 14, 2013 10:30 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 15, 2013 2:47 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- A Cape Coral couple is devastated after a fire ripped through their garage Monday night. They were inside the home on 9 Southwest 37th Place when the flames started. They're left picking up the pieces of not only a home, but also the family business.
You can see that the van is melted from the heat. A board now covers the garage. The family tells WINK-TV they aren't really sure what to do now.
"I don't even know whats going through my mind right now. One day at a time. I've lost my business. My home." Mark Westfield is at a loss for words over the loss of a home he's had for five years.
Mark and his wife Clarya were inside watching tv when the garage erupted in flames Monday night.
"Just before we got to the door there was an explosion of some kind, a big boom, when we opened the door, the garage was totally in flames," she said.
"I grabbed the water hose and that was useless, so I ran around the back, tried to the keys to the van, but it was too late by then I couldn't see inside the house it was too smokey," Mark said.
"He told me get the phone, I'm going to call 911. Get out of the house," Clarya.
Heat from the blaze melted the garage door which slumped over the family mini van. Inside soot coats precious collectables and family valuables.
Mark works out of the home where he buys and sells parts to fix computers. He estimates $10,000 worth of equipment is destroyed.
The couple says they're thankful to be alive, and taking one day at a time. "I think maybe we'll be going to a motel," she said. "You don't know what you're going to do from now, till tomorrow this time. Where am I going to be? I dont know. It's bad."
There are no fire hydrants or city utilities here, so the fire department needed to bring in big tanks of water to put out the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, while the family stays at a neighbor's house. If you would like to help the family, Mark says he can be reached through e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday
- Redmond HIV case could be thrown out under Fla. law
- SAO drops grand theft charge against fmr. commissioner
- APNewsBreak: Fla. congressman lost $18M in scheme
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end