|Published:||May 13, 2013 10:24 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 13, 2013 10:24 AM EDT|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - The eastern portions of the Sunshine Skyway fishing piers will close due to deterioration that makes them difficult to maintain.
The Florida departments of Transportation and Environmental Protection have announced the structures will close Aug. 29. They say years of deterioration and saltwater corrosion have made the piers unsafe.
The Tampa Tribune (http://bit.ly/18Fuvj3 ) reports the western piers will remain open for fishing. But state officials will continue to monitor the western piers. They'll be modified to allow two-way traffic and 300 parking spaces.
When the current Sunshine Skyway Bridge was built over Tampa Bay in 1987, portions of the old bridges became part of the Skyway Fishing Pier State Park.
Information from: The Tampa (Fla.) Tribune, http://www.tampatrib.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash