|Published:||May 11, 2013 7:17 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 11, 2013 7:17 PM EDT|
DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, Fla. (AP) - A high school student in northwest Florida has been expelled for starting a rumor that someone was going to shoot people at the school.
A Walton County Sheriff's Office statement says the student told investigators on Friday that they were "just trying to be funny and scare" other students. Authorities have not identified the student or released the student's age.
Investigators determined there was no real threat to the school or students and the suspect did not have access to a weapon.
Walton County High School officials expelled the student. The school remained open during the investigation.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- WINK News viewers capture pictures, videos of SWFL storms
- New patrol cars to help combat traffic offenses