|Published:||May 10, 2013 6:25 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 10, 2013 6:25 PM EDT|
PINELLAS PARK, Florida (AP) - The man attacked by an alligator after fleeing police in Florida says he was in a fight for his life with the croc.
Twenty-year-old Bryan Zuniga told a local news station Friday that he was swimming and trying to hide when a 6- to 8-foot gator lunged at him.
Zuniga said he was nearly knocked unconscious when the gator's mouth hit his head. He fought back with both legs and the arm not caught between the crocodile's jaws.
The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said Zuniga ran away and into a water treatment plant after being pulled over by deputies Thursday. He was later found at a hospital being treated for puncture wounds to the face, arm and armpit area.
He has been charged with fleeing police.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- Search ends for 2 missing from migrants' raft