|Published:||May 09, 2013 11:10 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 09, 2013 11:10 AM EDT|
INDIALANTIC, Fla. (AP) - A middle school student was arrested after officials found an unloaded semi-automatic handgun in his backpack.
Brevard County Sheriff's deputies say the 15-year-old student hasn't been very forthcoming about why he brought the gun to Herbert Hoover Middle School on Wednesday.
Florida Today (http://on.flatoday.com/10cYf3g ) reports the school's on-campus resource officer received an anonymous tip that the student had some kind of weapon. Deputy Michael Doyle found the student and administrators searched the backpack.
The student was arrested at the school and is being held at the Brevard County Juvenile Detention Center. He's charged with possession of a firearm on school property and carrying a concealed firearm.
Information from: Florida Today (Melbourne, Fla.), http://www.floridatoday.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- I-75 south lanes closed near Sarasota after crash
- Police: Driver hits biker, drives with him on car
- Fire destroys home, 2 cars, motorcycle in Port Charlotte
- iGeneration Charter School in Immokalee shuts down
- Naples Botanical Garden Night Lights kicks off tonight
- City of Palms Classic tips off in Fort Myers
- Service planned to remember missing Fla. mom, kids
- Florida U.S. Senator offers to go to Iran for CIA contractor
- Inmate charged in central Fla. woman's 2011 death
- Firefighters find body in Ocala home; dog rescued