|Published:||May 08, 2013 10:23 AM EDT|
|Updated:||May 08, 2013 10:23 AM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A 3-year-old boy died after shooting himself with his uncle's gun in a Tampa apartment.
Hillsborough County Sheriff's officials say the boy's uncle, 29-year-old Jeffrey D. Walker, was arrested late Tuesday and charged with culpable negligence.
Sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter says Jadarrius Speights found the unsecured 9 mm handgun in a backpack in a bedroom he shared with his uncle. The child's parents - Jasmine Bell and Trentin Speights - were in the bedroom with the child when the gun went off.
Officials say Walker purchased the gun at a gun shop in the Tampa area and has a concealed weapons permit.
Authorities say a 911 call came in at 7:10 p.m. The boy was taken to Florida Hospital Tampa, where he died.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim