|Published:||May 05, 2013 8:50 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 05, 2013 8:50 PM EDT|
OAKLAND PARK, Fla. (AP) - A fatal shooting closed traffic on a stretch of Interstate 95 in South Florida for several hours on Sunday, authorities said.
The homicide happened at about 6:40 a.m. when a man was shot and killed as he drove onto I-95 from Commercial Boulevard, about five miles north of Fort Lauderdale, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office. Several motorists called 911 reporting a shooting on the interstate.
The man's silver Buick hit a guardrail on the southbound entrance ramp and then caught fire, BSO spokeswoman Dania Moscella said. Deputies and firefighters responded to the scene and extinguished the blaze. The driver was found dead inside. He has not yet been identified.
All southbound lanes of the I-95 at Commercial Boulevard were closed as police investigated the homicide, snarling traffic for several hours. All lanes were reopened by noon.
Investigators say the shooting may have stemmed from an incident at a nearby Waffle House.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact Det. Brian Tutler at 954-321-4281 or report anonymous tips to Crime Stoppers of Broward County at 954-493-TIPS. Tips can also be submitted online at: www.browardcrimestoppers.org . Crime Stoppers will pay up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest.
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash