|Published:||May 02, 2013 8:43 PM EDT|
|Updated:||May 02, 2013 10:41 PM EDT|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla - Runners from Southwest Florida will lace up their sneakers for the Tropicool 5k this weekend in Naples.
This is the first race since the Boston Marathon bombings April 15. For one local runner, the tragedy hit close to home. Christian Guilano grew up just outside of Boston. He ran in high school, but dropped the sport as he got older.
Now, he's planning to run the 5k and raise 5k for the victims of the bombings.
"Whether I raise $500 or $5,000 for me I just feel like there will be a lot of medical bills that need to be paid, theres a lot of people whose lives are going to be changed forever and if maybe a little bit of money will give them some hope, that's really all I can ask for," says Guilano.
The Tropicool 5k is hosted by Gulf Coast Runners and will be Sunday May 5 in Naples. All money raised by Guilano will go to Boston's One Fund.
If you would like to donate to his efforts, click here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/5k-for-the-victims-of-the-boston-bombing
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- FMPD arrests 3 teenaged vehicle burglary suspects
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- EXCLUSIVE: LeeTran driver speaks after possible bus shooting
- Fla. man charged in boy death eyed in 2nd killing
- Owner tracks stolen boat to Mexico