|Published:||Apr 28, 2013 1:25 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 28, 2013 1:25 PM EDT|
LAKLAND, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say three people are dead and two are injured after two vehicles collided in a central Florida intersection.
The Polk County Sheriff's Office says a speeding pickup truck collided with a car early Sunday in Lakeland.
Sheriff's office spokeswoman Carrie Eleazer says the pickup truck's driver was hospitalized with several broken bones.
The car's driver, Dorothy Operhall of Mulberry, died at the scene. Her common-law husband, Leonard Simmons, also died at the scene. He had been sitting in the back seat.
Front-seat passenger Melina Helbig of Rochester, Pa., also died at the scene. Her husband Robert was hospitalized in critical condition. He also had been sitting in the back seat.
All four people in the car were wearing seatbelts.
Eleazer says charges are pending.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Study shows foreclosure numbers down, job growth up in SWFL
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Sun-N-Fun Lagoon opens for Collier schools' winter break