|Published:||Apr 27, 2013 9:32 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 27, 2013 9:32 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- The Gulf Coast chapter of the American Lung Association's 2013 Fight for Air Stair climb got underway this morning at the tallest location between Tampa and Miami, High Point Place.
Climbers will race up the high rise's 30 floors and 541 steps. Local firefighters will wear full gear for the climb and compete with neighboring fire districts. Also this year, some local SWAT team members will make the climb in full gear as well.
Last year's event raised $45,000 for the battle against lung diseases such as asthma and lung cancer, which is the leading cancer-related death for men and women in the United States. Event organizers hope to up the fundraising effort to $50,000 this year.
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia. ID released
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Child Struck And Killed By Vehicle In Bonita Springs.