|Published:||Apr 22, 2013 12:43 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 22, 2013 12:43 PM EDT|
BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A 6-year-old South Florida boy suffered minor injuries after being attacked by an alligator, federal wildlife officials said Monday.
The alligator attacked Friday afternoon when Joey Welch of Pompano Beach fell into shallow water at the edge of a boat ramp in the Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
"I went in it and there was a splash. The alligator just swam into me and clamped my arm," the boy told WPLG-TV (http://bit.ly/XXVNPA ).
Joey's father and other bystanders punched and kicked the alligator until it released the child.
"I didn't want to play tug-of-war with the alligator and get his arm ripped off," Joseph Welch told WSVN-TV (http://bit.ly/ZGywwG).
Joey was treated at a hospital for cuts and bruises to his right arm, shoulder and chest, wildlife officials said. His father had a bruised right hand from punching the alligator.
The federal agency said trappers licensed by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission captured and killed the 8-foot-long alligator.
"We are extremely relieved the child made it out of this potentially deadly incident with only minor injuries," said Rolf Olson, an official at the wildlife refuge. "This really could have ended very badly. We thank the members of the public who saw this happening and selflessly rushed in to do the right thing."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school