|Published:||Apr 22, 2013 4:33 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 22, 2013 10:55 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.,- A birthday wish comes true!
A young Bonita Springs girl has made it her mission to help the less fortunate across Southwest Florida.
Danielle Jaffe just turned 10-years-old and is putting hundreds of meals on dining room tables.
Jaffe had one simple birthday wish.
"I want to get cans for all the people who don't have any food," said Jaffe.
In fact, 'giving' is a big part of her young life.
"When I was little I would go to Immokalee to give them my toys and clothes and now I thought it would be nice to give people food," Jaffe said.
So Danielle set up a goal: to get 400 items of food.
Her so-called tracking system was in the shape of a beach bucket and it would fill up as the cans came in.
"I already have a lot of stuff and other people don't have a lot of stuff, so I would rather give stuff to other people than people give stuff to me."
Her birthday wish came true and exceeded her expectations!
"This is special for a 10-year-old girl to ask for food in lue of birthday presents and then to have the friends respond like that"
She actually collected almost 600 items for the Harry Chapin Food Bank. It all weighs more than 500 pounds. The president of the food banks says it's not very often you see a 10-year-old reach out a hand to complete strangers.
"Isn't that an unselfish act? What a wonderful thing! It's so great to see kids helping kids," said Harry Chapin Food Band President and CEO, Al Brislain.
"I want to do it when I turn 11 next year and when I turn 12 the next year after that," Jaffe told WINK News.
We're told there are elementary schools in Naples where 95 percent of the kids are getting free lunches and it's thanks to people like Danielle.
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- Man accused of leaving baby in car no stranger to law
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- Winter weather delays flights in and out of RSW
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- Miami-Dade Police officer shot, hospitalized
- Beach renourishment winding down in Naples