|Published:||Apr 21, 2013 2:42 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 21, 2013 11:21 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fl. - WINK News is learning more about the two men killed in a deadly shooting that happened late Saturday night.
Twenty-year-old Paul Baldwin and 17-year-old Jiatarious Brunson both died from gunshot wounds. This all went down in the Renaissance Preserve neighborhood off Michigan Avenue around 11:30 Saturday.
"He was a great kid, he was little and mighty and I'm the photographer and every time I went to take his picture he would always have a smile for me and when I spoke to him it was 'yes ma'am,' 'no ma'am.' Very respectful, very kind," says Cyndi Hendry.
For years, team mom Cyndi Hendry has captured moments like these from the sidelines. It was no different for Fort Myers High School Sophomore runningback, Jiatarious Brunson, fondly called JoJo.
"He was definitely one of our rising stars,' she adds.
Making Saturday night's tragic shooting even harder to imagine.
"I see some of my photographs with 'rest in peace JoJo,' it just really, you know this I one of our kids, one of my kids on the team and it really just upset me when I saw that he was gone," she says.
Police say the shots rang out before midnight, later killing 20-year-old Paul Baldwin and the 17-year-old.
Baldwin was said to have ties to a controversial rap group the Lake Boyz. Friends say JoJo was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
"To see this happen in my town, aggravates me, it frustrates me as a mother as a parent," Hendry adds.
Hendry hopes this homicide is the last straw for this City and gets people to come forward.
"Sometimes we don't tell our kids that enough and that probably would be the first thing I'd say is that I love him and he was worth something and hopefully for this loss we can gain the ability to catch these guys and bring them to justice," she adds.
The school counselor at Fort Myers High School will be in all of JoJo's classes Monday to talk with students.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash