|Published:||Apr 17, 2013 10:50 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 17, 2013 10:57 PM EDT|
ESTERO, Fla - Southwest Florida runners are coming together to pay tribute to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing.
Every Wednesday Fit 2 Run in Estero offers a weekly run, but this weeks run had a much deeper purpose. The running store organized a Boston Marathon "Unity Run" at the last minute and more than 50 people turned out.
"What a wonderful way to not only support the people of Boston but to show the united states you can't bring down our spirits, no matter where it happens the whole united states is going to band together and we're going to get through it," says
In one way or another, each and every runner was impacted by the tragedy at the Boston Marathon, but with each step they're uniting, determined to never forget.
Lori Jenkins has never participated in Fit 2 Run's weekly run, but heard about the tribute and wanted to be a part of it. "I'll think about all the people that were hurt and lost their lives and the runners, their day was changed forever," says Lori Jenkins.
Wearing yellow and blue ribbons and running bibs they began the tribute with a moment of silence.
"It's another day, it's another run, but this run just has a little bit more meaning," says Jill Maetzold.
For many, the horror that unfolded Monday afternoon has only turned into motivation, inspiring the running community to do more races and keep on running.
"It makes me more resolved to do races," says Nathan Wiegratz. "I haven't run a marathon in a number of years but I always thought maybe I'll do one in the future, but i'll need motivation. Something like this is all the motivation you need to run past that same spot."
"You can't take down a runner with something like this, because all they want to do is keep running," says Maetzold.
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery