|Published:||Apr 14, 2013 10:22 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 14, 2013 10:22 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- The event is put on by the Defenders Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club, which was established in Naples, FL in 2004. Currently the group has grown to nearly sixty chapters across the USA.
This will be the event's ninth year. It prides itself in being the only poker run that brings the law enforcement and first responder communities together with the community at large through the common interest of motorcycle riding and travel.
The first bike leaves at 10:00 am with the last bike out at 11:30 am. As is the custom each year, the poker run will take riders through scenic areas of Lee County, winding for approximately 60 miles through Estero, South Fort Myers, Fort Myers Beach. The ride will end at the Sandy Parrot located at 17200 South Tamiami Trail.
The social club's members are primarily law enforcement officers, as well as firefighters, EMT's, corrections and probation officers, military veterans and more.
Harley-Davidson of Fort Myers continues to be the proud lead sponsor of the event as well as other local businesses such as Bass Pro Shops, MacDaddy's Restaurant, Smiling Dog Saloon and the Sandy Parrot Tiki Bar & Grill.
This year's event will include door prizes, 50/50 raffles, great food and live music.
"This is an event we look forward to each and every year," says Defenders Motorcycle Club member Augie Malagon, also a lieutenant with the Lee County Sheriff's Office. "I can think of no better way to honor the life of Pat Healey than to help families of first responders who have left us too soon."
Come on out and support your local heroes and all emergency responders.
Proceeds from this year's run will help the family of Fish & Wildlife Commission Officer Nathan Douglas who lost his wife and daughters in a tragic crash on Alligator Alley this past January.
The event is named for Lee County Deputy Pay Healey who died in the line of duty.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- Miami-Dade Police officer shot, hospitalized