|Published:||Apr 11, 2013 10:29 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 11, 2013 10:39 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Fort Myers Police Department received calls on Wednesday from local citizens in reference to a strange text message they had received on their smart phones. Officers say this is not a legitimate text from the police department.
The text message stated the following:
"FRMPOLICE FM URGENT please call 01137322311187"
Officers want people to know that this is not a legitimate text from FMPD and that police would not randomly contact citizens via text message.
Citizens should always be wary of scams and anyone who may ask for personal information through phone calls, texts or the internet.
Anyone who receives a text like this should contact their phone service provider.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Grinch steals Christmas trees from Lemon Bay students
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples