|Published:||Apr 10, 2013 8:08 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 10, 2013 9:38 PM EDT|
STARKE, Fla. (AP) - A man who killed a 10-year-old girl he snatched off her bike on her way to school has been executed in Florida.
Authorities said 59-year-old Larry Eugene Mann was pronounced dead at 7:19 p.m. Wednesday following a lethal injection at Florida State Prison near Starke.
Mann kidnapped Elisa Vera Nelson on Nov. 4, 1980, as she headed to school in a Tampa suburb following a dental appointment.
Mann took the girl to an orange grove, cut her throat and beat her head with a pole. Mann then went home and tried to kill himself by slashing his wrist, telling the responding police officers he had "done something stupid."
Days later, Mann's wife found a bloodied note that Elisa's mother had written to explain why she was late for school.
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings