|Published:||Apr 04, 2013 6:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 04, 2013 6:43 PM EDT|
SOUTHWEST Fla.- Much of Southwest Florida is under a tornado watch until 8:00 p.m.
Hail up to 1.5 inches in diameter is possible, as well as thunderstorm wind gusts up to 70 mph, and dangerous lightning in these areas.
A tornado watch means conditions are favorable for tornadoes and severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch area. Persons in these areas should be on the lookout for threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements and possible warnings.
All after school activities scheduled to take place on Lee County School Campuses have been cancelled.
Parents are asked to arrange for after school pick up, if their student was planning on staying on campus after the school day. Parents who have students in fee-based after school programs (YMCA, etc.) on campus can be assured students will be cared for by regular program staff until they can arrange for pick up.
Lee County Public Schools has also cancelled all adult education classes at all sites this evening. Regular schedules will resume tomorrow.
All outside events and activities scheduled at any Collier County Public School have been cancelled. This refers to events/activities held outside of the doors of any CCPS facilities, including activities such as sports practices or any other outside activity. Activities and events scheduled at CCPS facilities that are set to be held inside the building, such as student-led conferences, are not cancelled.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- Search ends for 2 missing from migrants' raft