|Published:||Apr 01, 2013 11:57 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 01, 2013 11:57 AM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - One of Cuba's most renowned dissidents is speaking in Miami.
Blogger and activist Yoani Sanchez will speak Monday at the Freedom Tower, where thousands of Cuban exiles were processed after fleeing the 1959 communist revolution.
Sanchez has gained thousands of followers worldwide for her candid descriptions of modern life in Cuba on her blog Generation Y. In 2009 she was named one of the "100 Most Influential People in the World" by Time magazine.
Sanchez is currently on a world tour after being allowed to leave the communist island for the first time in nearly a decade. She has traveled to Europe, Latin America and the United States.
She arrived in Miami on Thursday and has described this stop as the most emotional of her journey.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city
- Radel makes Forbes' list of 'biggest career crashes of 2013'