|Published:||Mar 29, 2013 9:20 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 29, 2013 9:20 AM EDT|
MIRAMAR, Fla. (AP) - An 11-year-old boy was struck and killed by a car while he was riding his skateboard inside a gated South Florida community.
Miramar police say the driver rushed to a nearby home for help after hitting the child just after 6 p.m. Thursday.
Authorities say the boy was taken to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital in Hollywood, where he died.
Police spokeswoman Yessenia Diaz told The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/10jd9RE ) the boy apparently rode into the path of the car. She says the boy lived in the Vizcaya neighborhood where the accident occurred. His name has not been released.
Diaz says police are investigating but that it was unlikely the driver would face charges.
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- Search ends for 2 missing from migrants' raft