|Published:||Mar 29, 2013 3:38 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 29, 2013 3:38 PM EDT|
HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A South Florida medical examiner says a baby boy whose remains were found buried in the backyard of a home died as a result of a homicide.
The Broward County medical examiner's autopsy was released Friday for 5-month-old Dontrell Melvin, whose remains were discovered in January after officials realized he had been missing for 18 months.
The report says the boy died by "violence of undetermined means."
The boy's parents are currently in jail, with 21-year-old Brittney Sierra facing neglect charges and 27-year-old Calvin Melvin charged with giving police false information.
The parents have blamed each other in statements to police. The autopsy results could mean more serious charges against them.
Sierra's attorney called the autopsy results vague. Melvin's attorney did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cape Coral man arrested for child neglect
- Deadly motorcycle crash in Lehigh Acres
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- U.S. 41 Northbound Blocked near Andrea Lane
- Homeless chilren create Pictures of Hope
- Naples beach renourishment project set to wrap up next week