|Published:||Mar 28, 2013 8:57 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 28, 2013 8:57 PM EDT|
FLORIDA GULF COAST UNIVERSITY - Dave Tollett has been a Florida Gulf Coast Eagle for 13 years.
"I was here when we didnt even have a baseball program, our office was in trailers." said Tollett.
And this season, the basketball team isn't the only ranked sport. The baseball team is in the top 25. But Tollett said their ranking isn't the reason his team is so popular.
"Recruiting got real good on Monday when I walked in and had 489 emails," he said.
Messages from high school athletes and their parents asking how they can be a part of the university. It's a conversation that usually takes some selling from their Coaches side.
"The first 15 minutes of every conversation is who are we, where we at. um i dont think we're going to have to do that 10 minute spiel anymore thanks to our basketball team," said Coach Tollett. "It makes our life a lot easier."
And the popularity of the basketball team helps bring attention.
"I's been absolutely amazing in 72 hours this university has changed, I believe we have become a university," said Tollett.
And this could also mean more money for all of the sports teams.
"I mean we always struggle, I mean that's being a mid-divison 1 and especially with not having a lot of alumni and a new school, finances are tough, but this definitely helps and we hope that more people get on board and become boosters and really jump on board with a great athletic program that we have."
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Thieves steal handicapped man's motobility chair
- One person dead after early morning accident
- Immokalee firefighters donate new bikes after damaging one
- Taxpayers footing the bill for Damas hearings, treatment
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use