|Published:||Mar 28, 2013 2:44 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 28, 2013 2:44 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The city of Fort Myers is making its support of the FGCU men's basketball team official.
Thursday morning, Mayor Randy Henderson issued a proclamation congratulating each player and coaching staff member on their hard work and accomplishments thus far in the NCAA basketball tournament.
The 11-paragraph proclamation describes FGCU's establishment in the Fort Myers area in 1997, and highlights some of the basketball teams good work since, including when the team "team delivered multiple dunks in the decisive 81-71 defeat over #7 San Diego State University... and forever coined its city of Fort Myers #dunkcity."
Henderson plans to see Friday's game against the Florida Gators in person and hand out copies of the proclamation while in Arlington, Texas.
Through his children, Henderson has connections to the University of Florida and Florida Gulf Coast University, but he's whole-heartedly supporting the Eagles.
"I'm most definitely putting my complete faith and confidence in FGCU," Henderson said. "I'd much rather be the underdog going into these scenarios."
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- Officials: 20 whales spotted closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- Cape Fire Station 2 closes for repairs due to mold
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim