|Published:||Mar 26, 2013 1:04 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 26, 2013 6:07 PM EDT|
ESTERO, Fla.- As the country falls in love with the Cinderella story that is the Florida Gulf Coast University men's basketball team, many notable Florida figures, like Governor Rick Scott and Congressman Trey Radel, are speaking out about the Eagles.
Now, Fort Myers Mayor Randy Henderson wants to congratulate the team.
The official Eagles love started Monday when the City of Fort Myers website got a facelift to reflect the city's new nickname -- Dunk City.
The city tweeted out two hours later visits to its website were up 500 percent.
Henderson plans on officially congraluting the Eagles with a proclamation.
When the team flies out to Arlington, Texas for its Friday game against the University of Florida, Henderson would like to go as representative of the city.
Henderson foresees an economic boost to the Southwest Florida area from all the national recognition Fort Myers is receiving.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- Search ends for 2 missing from migrants' raft