|Published:||Mar 26, 2013 1:04 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 26, 2013 6:07 PM EDT|
ESTERO, Fla.- As the country falls in love with the Cinderella story that is the Florida Gulf Coast University men's basketball team, many notable Florida figures, like Governor Rick Scott and Congressman Trey Radel, are speaking out about the Eagles.
Now, Fort Myers Mayor Randy Henderson wants to congratulate the team.
The official Eagles love started Monday when the City of Fort Myers website got a facelift to reflect the city's new nickname -- Dunk City.
The city tweeted out two hours later visits to its website were up 500 percent.
Henderson plans on officially congraluting the Eagles with a proclamation.
When the team flies out to Arlington, Texas for its Friday game against the University of Florida, Henderson would like to go as representative of the city.
Henderson foresees an economic boost to the Southwest Florida area from all the national recognition Fort Myers is receiving.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers