|Published:||Mar 25, 2013 11:08 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 25, 2013 11:08 AM EDT|
KEY LARGO, Fla. (AP) - A man from Davenport, Iowa, is missing following a boating trip in the Florida Keys.
Monroe County Sheriff's officials say 49-year-old Mark Polaschek didn't return Friday from a sailboat trip on the Gulf of Mexico side of Key Largo.
Sheriff's officials say the man's wife told them he wasn't an experienced boater, but insisted on going out on their sailboat. She reported him missing the next day to the U.S. Coast Guard and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. A search turned up the sailboat, but didn't find him.
Polaschek's wife told deputies she didn't like going out on the water with him because she was afraid of his "lack of boating skills."
The couple and their 6-year-old son were vacationing in Key Largo.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Pod of whales beach themselves along Everglades shore
- Cops: Man shoots friend while watching football
- 2 Keys men get prison for wildlife trafficking
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- Accused robber shoots self before arrest
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- Officials lift Martin County dengue fever advisory
- Fla. cities lead nation in high-end foreclosures
- Fla. man pleads not guilty in Facebook killing