|Published:||Mar 25, 2013 12:44 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 25, 2013 1:03 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The bars at Gulf Coast Town Center were a sea of school spirit.
"I've never seen so many FGCU shirts out here before, so it's good," said FGCU Alumni Tyler Clausom.
Students and alumni gathered at watch parties to support the men's basketball team play in their first NCAA Tournament.
"I actually went to highschool with Sherwood Brown, in Orlando, Florida. We both graduated in 2009 so I'm here to support the team," said FGCU Senior Karen Wise.
Wise was busy creating beaded bling outside Bar Louie.
"We love our school, we're extremely spirited!" she said.
"I really didn't go when I was a Freshman, no one went to games or anything, so now it's a lot better," said FGCU Senior Emily Gordon.
If you showed up late to the Keys Bar and Grille it was standing room only.
"I've really never seen anytime like this, it's a more people everywhere, it's cool for our school," said
Students say the national attention has officially put FGCU on the map.
"I didn't even know what FGCU was and I came here, no one had any idea what FGCU was before," said FGCU Alumni Keith Alefeld.
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull