|Published:||Mar 25, 2013 3:21 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 25, 2013 3:21 PM EDT|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- The Collier County Sheriff’s Office is wishing a happy 50th birthday to Army Staff Sgt. John Ognibene, who will be celebrating this milestone April 7 in Afghanistan. Staff Sgt. Ognibene's wife, Tina, is a jail technician and has been with the agency since 2004.
If you would like to send a birthday card to Staff Sgt. Ognibene, his address is:
SSG Ognibene, John 320th MP CO
APO, AE 09367
Staff Sgt. Ognibene moved to Naples in 1967 and is a Lely High School graduate. He served three years in the U.S. Army and one year in the Army National Guard after graduating high school in 1981. While he enjoyed his life as a civilian after leaving the military, he missed serving his country. In 2005, with Tina’s blessing, he joined the U.S. Army Reserve.
In 2006/2007 he served his first six-month deployment to Afghanistan. His second six-month deployment followed in 2007/2008. After his return from that deployment his unit, the 723rd Maintenance Support Co (A), was closed and he was assigned to the 320th MP CO about four months before that unit returned from its deployment. In October 2012 he was called to active duty again. First he spent time training in Fort Bliss, Texas. On Dec. 23 his unit left again for Afghanistan. This time the deployment is expected to last a year.
CCSO agency members have donated 58 pounds worth of items that she has mailed to Ognibene's unit while he has been deployed. Another four pounds are ready to be shipped. The items include lip balm, bug repellant, wipes, small toiletries and candy.
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- FMPD arrests 3 teenaged vehicle burglary suspects
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- EXCLUSIVE: LeeTran driver speaks after possible bus shooting
- Fla. man charged in boy death eyed in 2nd killing
- Owner tracks stolen boat to Mexico