|Published:||Mar 21, 2013 2:40 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 21, 2013 2:40 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla -- On Thursday morning, a prisoner working on the side of the road was hit by a car on Bayshore Road according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
Just before 12 p.m. Thursday, Mark Ashton, 57, of Cape Coral was driving east on Bayshore Road west of McSpadden Road, when he was approaching a work area. Thomas Simon, 50, of Charlotte County, and also a prisoner, was working on the south paved area of Bayshore Road.
Troopers say Ashton's car veered into the work area, hit a traffic cone and then traveled toward the paved area. Subsequently, the right side of Ashton's car hit Simon. Ashton was charged with careless driving. Simon was treated at Lee Memorial for minor injuries.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Judge steps down in Watlington vs. McGregor Baptist case
- FBI involved in fatal shooting near Universal Orlando
- SOLD: Lee County school buildings
- $60K approved for Lee school district convention
- New Florida voting law
- Senate committee approves immigration bill
- Cape woman keeps track of OK friends, family