|Published:||Mar 21, 2013 2:40 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 21, 2013 2:40 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla -- On Thursday morning, a prisoner working on the side of the road was hit by a car on Bayshore Road according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
Just before 12 p.m. Thursday, Mark Ashton, 57, of Cape Coral was driving east on Bayshore Road west of McSpadden Road, when he was approaching a work area. Thomas Simon, 50, of Charlotte County, and also a prisoner, was working on the south paved area of Bayshore Road.
Troopers say Ashton's car veered into the work area, hit a traffic cone and then traveled toward the paved area. Subsequently, the right side of Ashton's car hit Simon. Ashton was charged with careless driving. Simon was treated at Lee Memorial for minor injuries.
- LCSO finds, arrests North Fort Myers murder suspect
- Suspect in Lehigh double murder located in WY
- Man pays down 76 layaway orders at Fla. store
- FMPD arrests 32 suspected drug dealers
- Attorney blasts investigation into FSU's Winston
- LCSO searched for missing 29 y/o Bonita man
- 2 transported by helicopter after serious crash on SR 776
- USPS to deliver mail in SWFL on certain Sundays
- Corrections officer accused of stealing inmate IDs
- Naples based St. Matthew's House expanding to Labelle