|Published:||Mar 21, 2013 2:05 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 21, 2013 2:05 PM EDT|
LEHIGH ACRES, Fla. -- The Florida Highway Patrol tells WINK News Robert Salmon, 81, died of natural causes and not from a hit and run on Wednesday evening.
Originally, troopers believed Salmon died from his injuries caused by a hit and run accident on Lake Drive in Lehigh Acres on Wednesday. Thursday, after consulting with the Lee County Medical Examiners office and conducting a crime scene investigation, FHP determined there was no car involved in the incident.
Troopers say Salmon was standing in front of a mailbox on Lake Drive and for an unknown reason fell into the road and sustained critical injuries. After being transported to Lehigh Regional Medical Center, Salmon was pronounced dead.
The investigation is still ongoing.
Trust WINK news to bring you more information as it happens.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday