|Published:||Mar 20, 2013 6:04 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 20, 2013 7:03 PM EDT|
BONITA SPRINGS, Fla.- WINK News is learning new details about last nights fire at the Bonita Beach Club. It started in the kitchen of a seventh floor unit. The kitchen is a total loss. The fire marshal tells us the complex is not equipped with a sprinkler system.
The Bonita Beach Club is actually up to fire safety standards and it passes all of it's fire inspections. It was built before 1994, which means it isn't required to have a sprinkler system. We've learned, condo's built after 1994, that are three stories or higher, are required to have automatic sprinklers. Fire Marshall, Tim Fernandez says age is the reason not all buildings in his district are equipped with sprinklers and for those that aren't, they are not breaking any laws.
Right now, the Florida Fire Prevention code says buildings built before 1994, must have sprinklers by the end of 2019.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- FHP investigating accident Lehigh Acres
- State Board of Education to get legislative update
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls
- Lee school board narrows down supt. search
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- Florida emergency officials ready to assist OK victims
- McGregor Baptist offers way to Help Tornado Victims
- Englewood man arrested on child pornography charges