|Published:||Mar 19, 2013 10:10 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 19, 2013 11:58 PM EDT|
LEHIGH ACRES, Fla.- WINK News has learned several children have been hurt on a ride at the Spring Festival in Lehigh Acres.
It happened shortly before 8 o'clock Tuesday night at 55 Homestead Road.
Witnesses say the children were on a ride called "The Ring of Fire" when it broke.
Parents say six to ten children went to the hospital. Some received stitches, had x-rays taken, and one may even have a concussion.
A parent, whose 9-year-old was on the ride, says it was a miracle the kids didn't die. He says "The Ring of Fire," operated by Modern Midways, broke; the metal pieces snapped, and the tracks that guide it fell down from the top. He says this all happened while the ride was making a complete circle 60-feet in the air.
""The cable hit our neighbor in the face and the bar hit my son in the legs really bad. The ride just basically came apart," said Dave McKinney whose son was injured.
One parent blames an engineering problem. He says the ride operator did a good job of getting it down.
The Lehigh Fire Department said five riders were on board at the time.
The incident is under investigation.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend