|Published:||Mar 19, 2013 9:03 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 19, 2013 11:55 PM EDT|
EAST NAPLES, Fla - An East Naples neighborhood is in shock after a wife is arrested accused of killing her husband inside their home.
It happened in the gated community of Glen Eagle late Monday night. "I looked out front and saw what looked like maybe five to seven police officers with guns draws," says one neighbor wishing to remain anonymous. "They were going towards the front door telling the person to come out and get down."
Just before 11 p.m. Monday night a concerned out of town relative called Collier County Sheriff's Deputies. When they arrived, they found 68-year-old Helen Hope Johns at the front door.
A Sheriff's report reveals, they instructed her to show her hands and asked if anyone else was in the residence. Hope replied, "he's dead."
Deputies found her husband Jack Johns shot in the chest. Now, neighbors are stunned the mother and wife is now behind bars. "I can't even begin to think about it," says Karen Wepprecht. "She was a beautiful person inside and out."
Wepprecht has lived across the street from the couple for four years. She says Hope and Jack were originally from Michigan and loved music, dancing and spending time at the Glen Eagle Country Club.
"He was ill and she took excellent care of him and she was very friendly and I got to meet their children and I think they're a very lovely family," says Wepprecht.
Deputies say they found a handgun inside the home near a hospital style bed and bullet holes in the television and china cabinet, along with signs of a struggle; details neighbors can't comprehend.
"I'm very sorry for what has happened," says Wepprecht. "It's very shocking and I'm sure pressure gets to all of us."
Hope Johns remains behind bars at the Collier County jail charged with second degree murder. She's expected to face a Collier County judge Wednesday afternoon.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis