|Published:||Mar 17, 2013 6:29 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 17, 2013 9:24 PM EDT|
ESTERO, Fla. - Florida Gulf Coast University learned Sunday its Men's Basketball team will play second-seeded Georgetown Friday night in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. That game will be played in Philadelphia.
It's the Eagles' first trip to the big dance. The big news in a packed Alico Arena while fans cheered on their home team.
Louisville earned the top overall seed in the NCAA tournament Sunday, a process complicated by the topsy-turvy regular season and another round of weekend upsets.
The selection committee had its work cut out after five teams swapped the No. 1 ranking in The Associated Press rankings, capped by West Coast Conference champion Gonzaga (30-2) moving to the lead spot for the first time in school history.
But it was No. 4 Louisville (29-5) that got the overall top seed after sharing the Big East regular-season title, then pulling off a stunning comeback to beat Syracuse in the conference tournament final.
CBS is releasing the top seeds by region, but No. 2 Duke (27-5) already knows it won't get a No. 1 seed after losing in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Trial date set for daycare owner charged in boy's drowning
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean