|Published:||Mar 17, 2013 8:48 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 17, 2013 11:12 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - FGCU basketball fans gathered at Alico Arena for the highly anticipated Sunday Selection Show as the men's team waited to find out who they'd face at this year's NCAA Tournament.
"It's good that today is St. Patrick's Day, a lot of green and that is one of our school colors," said A-Sun Player of the Year, Sherwood Brown.
The Eagles will face the number two seed in the South, Georgetown University.
"We think we match up well against Georgetown. They have a storied basketball history. So we are proud to play them. We're gonna give it our best," said FGCU President, Wilson G. Bradshaw.
And while Brown says every team needs a little luck he said, "It's gonna be skill and hard work." The team was the first to make this year's NCAA Tournament thanks to the A-Sun's automatic bid last Sunday. The Eagles will enter the tournament with wins in 12 of their last 14 games and a record of 24-10.
"I'm extremely excited. It's basically a dream come true. I've been waiting for moments like this ever since I was young," said Brown.
FGCU is seeded 15 in their region but loyal fans told Wink News, anything can happen at the big dance.
"Right now I think their momentum came take them anywhere," said fan Jennifer Harris.
The game will be played in Philadelphia on Friday night 6:50 pm on TBS.
-- Kristen Skovira Reporter WINK News firstname.lastname@example.org 303-596-6538
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- SWFL couple gives gift of Christmas to less fortunate
- WINK News gets answers for those with unemployment problems
- Lee rejects wording in animal ordinance; will revise it
- Make-A-Wish Grants boy's wish for a fish tank at his church
- Barbara B. Mann remembered at annual Holiday Carol Sing
- WINK Investigates what's at stake in Radel ethics probe
- iGeneration Charter School in Immokalee shuts down