|Published:||Mar 14, 2013 9:54 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 14, 2013 10:05 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Shane Simpkins 2nd degree murder trial continues. The defendant started the day listening to his alleged co-conspirator Christopher Neuberger testify that he and Shane were doing handyman work at the home of Mary Ann Zarb when Shane allegedly killed the Estero woman. Neuberger testified that after seeing Zarb's dead body, Simpkins asked him to help load the woman's body into the trunk of her car before they ultimately disposed of the body near the Lee / Charlotte county line. Neuberger also testified that Shane gave him a check, from Zarb's bank account, for 65 hundred dollars for helping with the disposal of the body.
Later Simpkins' attorney, Steven Smith told the court that his client may want to continue the case representing himself. Judge Reece halted the proceedings and questioned Simpkins directly. The case continued and Simpkins agreed to keep Smith as defense counsel.
The trial continues Thursday morning.
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- FCAT writing results show improvement for Lee students
- Investigators: suspect lit flares in attic of Gateway home
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Collier deputies arrest 12 y/o girl for library bomb threat
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption