|Published:||Mar 14, 2013 6:36 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 14, 2013 6:44 PM EDT|
ALVA, Fla.- At 12:01 a.m. Friday, a $2 million powerball ticket sold in Southwest Florida expires.
The ticket with the winning numbers: 3-20-26-43-48 and a Powerball of 1 was sold on Sept. 15 at the Handy Food Store on Palm Beach Blvd. in Alva.
The jackpot that day was $125 million, and the unidentified ticket owner purchased a power play to win $2 million.
Millions in lottery winnings go unclaimed each year. Many people have returned to the Handy Food Store to make sure they're not one of them.
"We had several people come in, finding their tickets and brining their tickets they've searched for and searched for," cashier Dwayne Williams said.
A lottery spokeswoman says they do all they can to find the winners, but the search will be over at 12-01 AM Friday.
"I bet they're kicking themselves in the tail right now, crying and crying," one customer remarked.
When the redemption deadline passes, the money will be split with 80% going to the state's education enhancement trust fund, and the other 20% going back into the lottery pot.
The store where the ticket was sold received a $5,000 bonus, despite the winner not yet coming forward, according to Florida Lottery officials.
- FMPD arrests women caught on camera stealing lotto tickets
- Deputies find body at scene of Pt. Charlotte house fire
- Woman faces DUI charges after crash involving 6 children
- 4 Collier Co. children involved in 2 near drowning incidents
- Witnesses says Naples man killed ducklings with a broom
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Top choice drops out of consideration for Lee Co. Manager
- Twins minor league team involved in Fla. crash
- DCF investigates Cape Coral infant's death
- 911 call: Judge in Zimmerman trial hears dispute