LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Theresa Shirley has entered a guilty plea to doctor shopping to obtain a controlled substance. Shirley is the same woman who hit and killed Tracy Kleinpell on the Sanibel Causeway.
Shirley was never criminally charged for hitting Kleinpell because at the time, she told investigators she fell asleep behind the wheel, due to medication she was taking. Further investigation found Shirley had multiple prescriptions for those drugs, which included oxycodone.
As part of today's plea deal, Shirley will spend 180 days in jail.
- Confusion leads to heavy police activity at Bernwood Cove
- CCSO seeks IDs of persons of interest in burglary case
- Teen fights off suspect accused of holding a gun to her head
- Woman accused of faking sons' deaths won't face jail time
- Students slime principal for 1 million minutes of reading
- Miami man catches longest Burmese python captured in Fla.
- Truck carrying mulch rolls over at Colonial & Plantation
- LCSO catches home invasion suspects in San Carlos Park
- Baby found, father charged in South Fla.
- Fla. gov. vetoes nearly $400 million from budget